These are one of my favorite lunch items. I make the tuna salad and pack my romaine leaves in a ziplock the night before, so I can just grab my lunch bag and head out the door in the morning. Enjoy!
Tuna Salad Boats
- 4 romaine leaves, washed and dried, thicker stem ends cut off
- 1 can of tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped finely
- 1 T. dried currants
- 8-10 crispy almonds, chopped (here’s a recipe for how and why to use soaked and dehydrated nuts)
- 1/4 c. olive oil mayonnaise, plus or minus, depending on your tastes (here’s a great recipe, with video!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the romaine leaves and mix well.
- Fill the romaine leaves with the tuna filling, holding like a soft taco. Proceed to “mmmmm” and “ahhhhhh” over the devastating, tiny hits of sweet from the currants, the crunch from the celery and almonds, and the silky, savory, and healthy olive oil mayonnaise tying it all together.